Classical Collections Network
The Classical Collections Network is for anyone working with classical objects in UK museums, including curators, PhD students, academics and volunteers. ‘Classical’ collections are defined broadly as collections from the ancient Mediterranean, including Greek, Etruscan, Roman and Cypriot material.
The aims of the network are to:
- Help UK museum curators and staff to access specialist advice on classical objects in their collections, including identification, translation and interpretation based upon current academic research and knowledge;
- Promote public engagement with classical objects in UK museums;
- Provide information on best practice and new research relating to care, management, understanding and presentation of classical collections;
- Provide opportunities for curators and staff working with classical objects in UK museums to network, collaborate and exchange information with each other and with others outside museums who have related interests (including university academics, students and special interest groups);
- Work towards mapping classical collections across the UK;
- Advocate for the significance of classical collections in UK museums and the importance of specialist expertise in making them accessible to a wide audience.